You’ve heard of macros before… but what the heck are they?
Unless you had an education that required nutrition courses, this is not something that comes up often in our day to day life- even though macros are what literally fuel your body and can help determine your success!
I felt like I had tried every diet under the sun, and I ended up stuck in a plateau, deficient in certain nutrients, and hangry. With so many diets out there, it can be hard to figure out what is best for you. Counting macros makes it possible to create a personalized nutrition plan specifically for YOU and what YOUR body needs!
What are Macros?
Macronutrients are protein, fats, and carbohydrates. They are essential nutrients that provide energy for our bodies. They are also necessary for many other important functions.
Remember that a balance of all 3 macronutrients will give the most benefit for each!
- Necessary to build muscle and prevent muscle loss.
- Helps manage your appetite by keeping you fuller longer.
- Takes more energy for your body to digest, which burns calories.
- Examples of protein are meat, fish, eggs, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
- Fat is essential for hormone creation, absorbing certain vitamins, and for optimal brain and heart health.
- Fats help you feel satisfied after a meal or snack and help keep you full longer.
- Contrary to what the media says, not all fats are bad for you! Find a good balance and work to limit foods that are high in added fats.
- Examples of some healthful fats include avocado, chia seeds, eggs, fatty fish, nuts, and flaxseed.
- Carbs are our body’s main source of energy.
- Provides fuel for your muscles, brain, kidneys, heart, and central nervous system.
- Fiber is a carbohydrate that aids in digestion, helps you feel full, and keeps blood cholesterol levels balanced.
- Examples of healthful carbs are vegetables, whole fruits, legumes, whole grains, potatoes, brown rice, and quinoa.
We will do another blog post on how to calculate macros manually, but for now some of our favorite ways include My Fitness Pal, and Prepp’d Meals– of course! All of our meals already have the macros calculated for you, so you know exactly what you’re eating.
Want to set up custom macros? Schedule a free appointment with Bri, our nutritionist! She would love to hear about your goals, and help you create a game plan to help you get there.
Do you track macros? I’d love to hear more about your experience!